Our resident foodie, Laura Ford, has been at it again – this time she’s turned her skills to pizzas. Of sorts. If you’re a pizza fan (and let’s face it who isn’t?) then these Homemade Pizza Scrolls are both super fun and easy to make, especially with the kids! The scroll base is quick to whip up and makes the softest scrolls. You can use a different combination of veggies, cheese or meat to make lots of yummy flavour combinations. 🍕🍕🍕
Getting kids in the kitchen is important for their development as it can build their self-esteem while they learn about food. Children are also more likely to try new foods if they’ve involved in the preparation process. In fact, getting kids to help prepare meals is a great way to develop their palate and reduce fussy eating. And yes, there will be some mess, but the look of pride on their face will be worth it.
1 tsp. olive oil
3⁄4 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
1 cup of self-raising flour Pinch of salt
1 cup Greek yogurt
1⁄2 cup milk
1 cup of tomato passata (or any tomato based pasta sauce) 1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini, grated
1⁄2 cup red capsicum, diced
1⁄2 cup green capsicum, diced
2 mushrooms, finely chopped
1 cup grated cheese
Optional: add some diced bacon, ham or salami
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Grease paper with olive oil.
2. Mix the flours and salt together until well combined. Add in Greek yogurt and milk and stir until a soft dough forms. If the dough is a little sticky, add more flour as needed.
3. Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, adding more flour if required. Pat the dough out into a rectangular shape so that it is approximately 3 – 4cm thick (you can use a floured rolling pin or just your hands to flatten it).
4. Spread the tomato passata all over the dough and sprinkle the carrot, zucchini, capsicum, mushroom and cheese on top.
5. Carefully roll up the dough and cut into 2 – 3cm scrolls. Place the scrolls onto the greased and lined tray, leaving space between each scroll.
6. Bake in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes until golden brown on top and cooked through.